Several weeks ago I was on Twitter and my 7-year-old daughter walks in. She said “Daddy, are you on twitter again”? I asked, “what do you know about twitter”? Her response was a simple “I know it is about getting into other people’s business”! Then, just last week I was meeting with a twitter newbie and he asked “what is the point of twitter” and “how do I use it correctly”. So here are some bullet points on twitter as described to a 7-year-old and a twitter newbie;
What is Twitter?
- Twitter is an outlet for providing and receiving information in a short format (140 characters or less).
- Twitter facilitates social networking, but it’s not considered a social networking website.
- Following is the act of subscribing to someone’s “mini feed” to get their “tweets” aka “information they consider valuable”.
So What’s the Point of Twitter?
- Send and receive instant information on topics of interest
- Sourcing tool to find people with common interests
- Engaging contacts; Twitter connects you to your contacts
- Promoting blogs, brands or self
- Simplified form of getting updates vs. Facebook
- Get feedback from a large network in short bites of information
- Connect with people on a personal level that you may never get the chance to in “real life”
Describe Twitter “Best Practices”
- Provide useful/helpful information such as links to news, current events/trends or tips
- Good information is key, think to yourself “why would someone want to read this”?
- Follow people who provide valuable information; if you are into social media, search for people who tweet/send information on the subject.
- Provide a quick introduction in the beginning of your tweets; just blasting links will get you lost in the stream.
- Utilize the twitter yellow pages (Twellow and Listorious) to show yourself and find subject matter experts you wish to follow.
- Complete your profile and provide a website you want to direct traffic to; I suggest your blog url or LinkedIn url (do not leave blank!)
Remember you control your on-line reputation. Once you tweet it, it is public domain (literally, google catalogues every tweet)! So pick a cool handle (no spam flaggers) and have fun! Feel free to follow me @alexputman! Happy tweeting!
- How to: Boost Your Google Rank With Twitter (oneforty.com)